The 15th Annual Vancouver Island Real Estate Board Commercial Building Awards took place at the Tigh Na Mara Seaside Spa and Resort in Parksville on April 28.
Among the structures honored in the Retail category in the Merit Awards was Quality Foods of Parksville, owned by Kelland Properties and built by general contractor Windley Contracting Ltd.
Malahat Skywalk won the judges’ top pick award. The spectacular structure overlooking southern Vancouver Island from atop the Malahat portion of the Trans-Canada Highway also won the Excellence Award in the Tourism category. The property owner on Malahat First Nation land is Malahat Skywalk Corp., and it was built by Kinsol Timber Systems.
Nanaimo’s Island West Coast Developments (IWCD) saw three of its projects win awards of excellence: Port Alberni’s Maitland Street Village in Affordable Housing, Nanaimo’s European Specialty Automotive in Automotive, and Garry Oak Park in Industrial.
Gold sponsors of the awards are MNP LLP, Knappett Projects Inc. and Coastal Community Credit Union. Category sponsors are RBC Royal Bank, RE/MAX Commercial, NAI Commercial, Herold Engineering, Waypoint Insurance, Canadian Western Bank, Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Yellow Sheet Review. Black Press is the media sponsor.
Commercial, industrial and income-generating projects, including renovations, from Malahat to Port Hardy were in the running for these awards and were completed between January 1 and December 31, 2021.
Excellence Award Winners:
• Affordable Housing (sponsored by Coastal Community Credit Union) – Maitland Street Village in Port Alberni. Owner: Alberni Low Energy Housing Society. General contractor: IWCD.
• Automotive (sponsored by Herold Engineering and Yellow Sheet Construction Data & Analytics) – Nanaimo European Specialty Automotive. Owner: Caleb Hartman. General contractor: IWCD.
• Community Institutional (sponsored by MNP LLP) – Nanaimo NRGH Thermal Energy Center. Owner: Island Health. General contractor: Kinetic Construction Ltd.
• Hospitality (sponsored by Waypoint Insurance) – Treehouses at Middle Beach Lodge in Tofino. Owner: Middle Beach Lodge. General contractor: AFC Industries Ltd.
• Industrial (sponsored by BDC) – Garry Oak Park in Nanaimo. Owner: Nanaimo Industrial Space Ltd. General contractor: IWCD.
• Multi-family condominium (sponsored by RBC Royal Bank) – Parq Shore of Campbell River. Owner/General Contractor: Crowne Pacific Development Corp.
• Multi-family townhouse (sponsored by NAI Commercial) – Raincoast Commons of Ucluelet. Owner/general contractor: Clayoquot Construction.
• Office (sponsored by Knappett Projects Inc.) – Colville Medical Center in Nanaimo. Owner/General Contractor: RW (Bob) Wall Contracting Ltd.
• Renovation (sponsored by Canadian Western Bank) – The Riverbend Café and General Store in Port Alberni. Owner: The Riverbend Café. General contractor: Aylott Construction.
• Retail (sponsored by RE/MAX Commercial) – Berkey’s Corner of Duncan. Owner: Forum. General contractor: Dawson Wallace Construction Ltd.
• Tourism (sponsored by Black Press) – Malahat Skywalk from Malahat.
Merit Winners Awards:
• Affordable Housing – 10 Nanaimo Buttertubs. Owner: Nanaimo Affordable Housing Corporation. General contractor: Windley Contracting Ltd.
• Community facility – Queen Margaret’s School in Duncan. Owner: Queen Margaret School. General contractor: Knappett Projects Inc.; Cumberland Fire Station. Owner: Village of Cumberland. General contractor: MKM Projects Ltd. and Qwalayu House in Campbell River. Owner: Vancouver Island Children’s Health Foundation. General contractor: WestUrban Developments.
• Home – Port Alberni CHIMS Guest House Phase II. Owner: CHIMS Guest House. General contractor: Naomi Nicholson.
• Multi-Family Townhouse – Kerrisdale Corner of Nanaimo. Owner: Esprit Developments. General contractor: Boehm Construction Ltd.
• Renovation – Nucii C Building in Port Alberni. Owner: Uchucklesaht Tribe Government. General contractor: Tectonica Management Inc.
• Retail – Quality Foods of Parksville. Owner: Kelland Properties. General contractor: Windley Contracting Ltd.
• Renovation – Place Stanko-Casswell in Cobble Hill. Owner: Clements Center Society. General contractor: Greca Holdings Ltd.
— NEWS staff, submitted